I wish I was updating this with good news.
Further to my last post, Kerry was successfully put onto the Ecmo machine, however this was with the intention to bring her off the ventilator (which would give her more time).
The doctors struggled on Thursday and Friday to bring Kerry round on the Ecmo machine or to get her to start working with the machine and therefore off the ventilator. They then decided to do a tracheotomy in order to help Kerry to start breathing for herself with the new machine.
Unfortunately the weekend again bought little to no change. The doctors and nurses were constantly working to adjust levels to help bring Kerry into consciousness comfortably without affecting her oxygen levels. Sunday evening we were told that they had had a bit of a breakthrough as Kerry was starting to use her muscles herself and they were able to turn the ventilator down just for support and oxygen, however they were still not able to bring her round.
We were informed this morning that there were issues with blood clotting and therefore even if lungs did come up she would not be able to have a transplant until these levels are sorted. Since then, there has been no real change although Mum spoke to one of the surgeons this evening who reassured her that if the lungs did come up then they would operate. She is still on the ventilator and unconscious and there is no plan to try to change that at present.
Edgar and Tom went back over the weekend to give my Mum a 24 hours break and to sit with her in intensive care (unfortunately I could not go as I had a cold and therefore could not risk passing germs onto her or any of the other patients). They have both told me she looks peaceful and comfortable, which she certainly hasn’t been for a while leading up to this.
We can’t thank everyone enough for all the messages, thoughts, prayers and kindness and they all continue to help Kerry. We are still praying and hoping that the right lungs will come up very very soon.
Love Kim xxx